What to pack before you leave home
Can’t stand one more minute at home? Before you storm out, if it’s safe, try to make sure you’ve packed everything you need. The Mix asked an expert and young people who’ve left home in a hurry what you should pack.
What the experts say you should pack
Sarah Webb from Centrepoint says it’s important you take the following:
- Some form of ID, particularly your passport if you can
- Driving licence, or your provisional, if you have one
- Proof of income so you can claim benefits
- If you’re in education, like college, take the ‘learning agreement’ you’re given at the start of your course
- If you’re a refugee, you’ll need your Home Office papers to prove you’re allowed in the country
What other young people said
We asked some of the young people on The Mix’s messaging boards, what they wished they’d packed:
- A toothbrush
- Any sentimental photos
- At least one pair of spare shoes
- Your phone and, more importantly, your phone charger
- A copy of your National Insurance number
- Warm clothes to create lots of layers
- Enough money to cover a week’s food, if you have it
- Things to do to keep your spirits up, like a book, sketchpad or iPod
- A decent sleeping bag
- Extra underwear and socks
- Any medication you’re on
- Bank card, or a bank statement so you have your account details
- Tampons/sanitary towels if you’re a girl
- Contact details of important places, like your GP surgery, dentist, or support worker
Thinking of leaving home but have nowhere else to go? Read our Help, I’m homeless article.
- Shelter's advice website for young people offers help with housing problems and a free helpline 0808 800 4444. If you're in Scotland, use http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/ instead.
- Crisis helps single homeless people find somewhere to stay. Get help here
- Chat about this subject on our Discussion Boards.
- Need help but confused where to go locally? Download our StepFinder iPhone app to find local support services quickly.
Updated on 29-Sep-2015
Interview: How do you move on from your experience of homelessness?
We talked to five young people who have experienced ...
Coronavirus: What are my tenancy rights? An expert guide
An expert guide to understanding your tenancy rights ...
Who do I need to tell when I move house?
Grab a pen and paper, you have a list to make.
Do you need to leave home? Here’s a guide to help
It can be really overwhelming to think about, but there ...
Moving into social housing checklist
Everything you need to know before you move in